Legalixa is an award-winning immigration law firm in Istanbul, Turkey with an exceptional success rate in almost every legal matter we have ever handled. Our US immigration lawyers are prepared to file J-1 Exchange Visitor visa. You can track the status of an immigration application, petition, or request at USCIS website.

Our immigration lawyers represent our clients from application until they get J-1 Exchange Visitor visa. An English-speaking attorney will help you during this process. We have affiliated law firms in the USA and we will be able to support you while you are in the USA.

 J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

The J-1 Exchange Visitor visa is for educational and cultural exchange programs established by the USA Department of State. The J-1 exchange visitor visa is applicable for individuals such as students, primary and secondary school teachers, trainees receiving on-the-job training, professors, research scholars, medical trainees, au pairs, and summer work and travel (WAT) students.

In order to be eligible to apply for a J-1 exchange visitor visa, the following conditions must be present:

  • The individual intends to stay in the USA for a specified period of time and plans to return to their home country upon completion of their exchange program goals.
  • The applicant must be able to document possession of monetary savings to cover their expenses while in the USA. Alternatively, they must be able to provide documentation/evidence as to the means by which their expenses will be covered while in the USA.
  • The individual must be able to provide significant documentation pertaining to their economic and social ties to their home country, thus evidencing their non-immigrant intent.

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

Professors and teachers who are in the USA in J-1 exchange visitor visa status generally receive employment authorization for up to 3 years. Trainees who are in the USA in J-1 status only receive employment authorization for up to 18 months.

Additionally, student exchange visitors who are in the USA. in J-1 status receive authorization to engage in “academic training” for up to 18 months upon completion of their studies.

Certain programs under the J-1 visa are subject to a 2-year foreign residence requirement. Thus, if the program and/or skill set under which the applicant falls is subject to the 2-year foreign residence requirement, the applicant will need to return to their home country for 2 years before being readmitted to the USA under any other visa category or changing their status while in the USA.

If the individual wishes to return to the USA under a separate visa category or to change to another visa status while in the USA, the individual will need to apply for a waiver to lift the 2-year foreign residence requirement.

Please note that an individual who has applied for a Green Card before their 2-year foreign residence requirement has been waived/fulfilled is not eligible to change their status to that of Lawful Permanent Resident.

Spouses and children under the age of 21 are eligible to accompany the J-1 holder to the U.S. for the duration of the J-1 exchange visitor visa. Spouses and children are also eligible to apply for separate work authorization through USCIS provided that the primary purpose of the J-2 dependent’s employment is not to support the J-1 holder financially.

Additionally, spouses and children are authorized to study in the USA without applying for a separate student visa.

Legalixa Immigration Law Firm provides assistance and advice regarding J-1 exchange visitor visas, including the parameters of permissible activities in J-1 status, options for change of status from J-1 status to other statuses, and the waiver of the 2-year foreign residency requirement.

Reach us for  J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

Since its foundation in 1992, Legalixa Immigration Law Firm has been the choice of numerous clients in Istanbul, Turkey. Thanks to its nationally recognized Turkish immigration law practice, our firm is now one of the leading immigration law firms in Istanbul, Turkey.

You may reach our immigration lawyers in the US for J-1 Exchange Visitor visa by sending an email or through our Contact page.

error: Content is protected !!